The Essentials of Vision
June 19, 2016 Speaker: Pastor Scott Oas
Topic: General Verse: Proverbs 29:18
MORE THAN A TAGLINE
“The Essentials of Vision”
Pastor Scott Oas | 06.19.16
“Where there is no vision the people perish. Proverbs 29:18
1. FIRST ESSENTIAL OF VISION is to Dream!
In the month of Kislev in the twentieth year, while I was in the citadel of Susa, Hanani, one of my brothers, came from Judah with some other men, and I questioned them about the Jewish remnant that had survived the exile, and also about Jerusalem.
They said to me, “Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire.”
2. SECOND ESSENTIAL is to have PASSION for that dream!
“When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.” - Nehemiah 1:4 (NIV)
Then I said to them, “You see the trouble we are in: Jerusalem lies in ruins, and its gates have been burned with fire. Come, let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem, and we will no longer be in disgrace.” I also told them about the gracious hand of my God on me and what the king had said to me. - Nehemiah 2:17-18 (NIV)
“Life is too short and the world too compassion-starved for you to keep subsisting in situations that drag you down and curtail your potential to help advance the Kingdom. There's just too much at stake.” - Bill Hybels
3. THIRD ESSENTIAL TO A LIFE LONG VISION is that WE LIVE IT!!!
“Come, let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem, and we will no longer be in disgrace…” They replied, “Let us start rebuilding.” So they began this good work. - Nehemiah 2:17-18 (NIV)
Taking stock of your goals & life dreams:
1. Take time – the biggest mistake most of us make is not to take time to check our life course & adjust.
2. Share your dreams – journey – share your dreams with your spouse, friends, family, & mentors.
3. Be honest – about who you are & who God has made you. The unique wonderful stuff as well as your shortcomings.
4. Be deliberate – set a pattern for your steps
SCRIPTURE READING: Nehemiah 1:1-9, 2:11-18
What dreams did you have as a kid, what hero’s and characters did you what to be?
“What do you want to be when you grow up?”
A CLOSER LOOK:
1. Who gave Nehemiah information about people in Jerusalem? What did he say about them?
2. How did Nehemiah react to this news (v4)? Why would he react this way?
3. How did he begin his prayer to God (v5)? What can we learn about prayer from this?
4. How did he describe the conduct of the Israelites in vv 6,7?
5. What promise did Nehemiah recall in vv 8,9?
1. What did Nehemiah do when he had arrived? Who was unhappy and why? Why would such men be disturbed?
2. What did Nehemiah do after three days? When did he do it?
3. What did he learn about the condition of the wall? Why was this important?
4. Whom did he tell regarding his purpose? What did he propose to do?
5. What did he say to motivate the people? How did they respond?
The following steps help us in determining God’s dreams and visions for our lives. Read each of these and share how you could implement them into your life to help you realize God’s plans for you.
1. Take time – the biggest mistake most of us make. Not to take time to check our life course & adjust.
2. Share your dreams & journey- with spouse, friends, family, and/or mentor.
3. Be honest- about who you are & who God has made you. Share both the unique wonderful stuff & shortcomings.
4. Be deliberate- set a pattern for your steps.