Testimony (Part 3)
Topic: General Verse: 1 Corinthians 1:18–1:24
THE IMPRACTICAL LIFE
“Testimony – Part 3”
Pastor Scott Oas | 06.05.16
How Can I Share My Faith with Others?
1. Ask God to increase your love for lost people
2. Pray consistently for the spiritually lost
3. Reach out in a way that fits who you are
4. Be ready to tell others how you met God
5. Build bridges of friendship with lost people
6. Don’t just share your faith – show it
7. Be prepared to explain God’s message
8. Take risks to reach people with the gospel
Six Unique Styles of Sharing Your Faith
The Confrontational Style exemplified by Peter in Acts 2, where he boldly accuses a crowd of murdering the Messiah. People with this style tend to be confident, assertive and direct.
The Intellectual Style illustrated by Paul in Acts 17, where he reasons with philosophers in Athens. Those with this style are inquisitive, analytical, and logical.
The Testimonial Style shown in John 9 by the blind man who was healed by Jesus and then declared, “One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!” (v.25) People with this style are particularly adept at being clear communicators, effective storytellers, and good listeners.
The Interpersonal Style lived out by the disciple Matthew, who threw a party where his sinful tax-collecting friends could rub shoulders with Jesus and his followers (Luke 5:29). People with this style are warm, conversational, and friendship oriented.
The Invitational Style illustrated by the woman at the well in John 4, who runs into town to invite people to come meet Jesus. People with this style are good at bringing non-Christians to places where they can hear the Gospel. They tend to be hospitable, relational, and persuasive.
The Serving Style exemplified by Dorcus in Acts 9, who made clothing for the widows of her community. Those with this style are particularly able to evangelize through the way they provide practical assistance to people. They are generally others-centered, humble and patient.
Putting your story together:
1. What was your life like before Christ? What was your spiritual attitude prior to the time you became a Christian? What issues did you struggle with? What prompted you to consider Christianity?
2. How did you become a Christian? Specifically, how did you pray to receive Jesus as your savior, forgiver and leader?
3. How is your life different now? How has your life begun to change? In what way has God helped you with the issues you struggled with before you became a Christian?
Taken from “Becoming a Contagious Christian” Bill Hybels & Mark Mittelberg
SCRIPTURE READING: I Corinthians 1:18-24
What is one of the most impacting stories of a Chrsitian’s life that you know of? Who, and what were the circumstances?
Why is our life story with God so important? Why for you, why for those around you?
A CLOSER LOOK:
Let’s revisit the key themes from the message this week and talk about them. Practical steps in how we can share our faith with others.
1. ASK GOD TO INCREASE YOUR LOVE FOR LOST PEOPLE - where would you say you are with that- caring for lost people?
2. PRAY CONSISTENTLY FOR THE SPIRITUALLY LOST - we talked about having a list of 3 people that we would focus our prayers on. Would you be willing to do this? Have you already started?
3. REACH OUT IN A WAY THAT FITS WHO YOU ARE - 6 Unique Styles of Sharing your Faith
1) Confrontational or Direct: Peter, Acts 2.
2) Intellectual / Philosophical: Paul, Acts 17.
3) Testimonial: Blind Man, John 9
4) Interpersonal: Matthew, Luke 5
5) Invitational: Woman at the Well, John 4
6) Serving: Dorcas (Tabitha), Acts 9: 36
By using the notes and survey questions as well as your knowledge of yourself, which of these styles most fit who you are and why? How have you seen them demonstrated in your life? If you have already taken the survey, share your results. You may have several styles that fit you.
4. BE READY TO TELL OTHERS HOW YOU MET GOD - Hold on to this till the end.
5. BUILD BRIDGES OF FRIENDSHIP WITH LOST PEOPLE - what are some basic ways of doing this?
6. DON’T JUST SHARE YOUR FAITH- SHOW IT - Share ideas
7. BE PREPARED TO EXPLAIN GOD’S MESSAGE - What are some really key bible verses to memorize in sharing about your faith in Christ?
8. TAKE RISKS TO REACH PEOPLE WITH THE GOSPEL
Putting your 3 minute story together - maybe for next small group meeting each member shares their 3 minute story using the outline in the notes or below.
1. What your life was like before Christ. What was your spiritual attitude prior to the time you became a Christian? What issues did you struggle with? What prompted you to consider Christianity?
2. How you became a Christian. Specifically, how did you pray to receive Jesus as your forgiver and leader?
3. How your life is different now. How has your life begun to change? In what way has God helped you with the issues you struggled with before you became a Christian?