The Parables of Jesus - Introduction
May 27, 2012 Speaker: Series: The Parables of Jesus
Topic: Parables Verse: Psalm 78:1–78:4
THE PARABLES OF JESUS
Pastor Duane Cross | 05.27.2012
“O my people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden from of old-things we have heard and known, things our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done. “ Psalms 78:1-4(NIV)
“Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable. So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet: ‘I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.’” Matthew 13:34-35(NIV)
Why did Jesus teach in parables?
1) Reveal secrets of the kingdom.
2) Illustrate truth in understandable ways.
3) Easy to listen to.
4) To disarm those antagonistic or judgmental.
5) Make people think/ponder/reflect.
6) Think heavenly realist from earthly stories.
What should we expect by studying the Parables?
1) To learn more about Jesus.
2) To understand God’s will.
3) To learn about the kingdom.
4) To learn how to relate to each other.
5) To learn about the character of God.
How should we respond to Jesus’ parables?
1) Some fell on the path.
2) Some fell on rocky ground.
3) Some fell among thorns.
4) Still other seed fell on good soil.
HOW ARE YOU GOING TO RECEIVE THESE PARABLES?